Titusville Theft Crime Lawyer
Aggressively Defending Your Rights in Brevard County
If you have been arrested for a theft crime, it is crucial to begin working with an experienced criminal defense attorney as soon as possible. At Ali & Blankner, we are dedicated to providing the aggressive and personalized legal counsel you need to protect your rights and your future.
What is Considered Theft in Florida?
In Florida, theft is defined as knowingly obtaining or using the property of another with the intent to, either temporarily or permanently, deprive the owner of their right to the property or to appropriate the property for themselves or another who is not entitled to it.
Florida law recognizes several types of theft crimes, including:
- Petit Theft: Petit theft is the unlawful taking of another person's property when the total value of the property is less than $300. Petit theft is a second-degree misdemeanor in Florida.
- Grand Theft: Grand theft is the unlawful taking of another person's property when the total value of the property is $300 or more. Grand theft can be charged as a third-degree, second-degree, or first-degree felony, depending on the value of the property.
- Embezzlement: Embezzlement is a type of theft crime that involves misappropriating funds that have been entrusted to you, often by an employer.
- Robbery: Robbery occurs when a person uses force, violence, assault, or putting the victim in fear while committing theft.
What Are the Penalties for Theft in Florida?
The penalties for theft depend on the value of the property stolen and the specific theft crime with which you are charged.
The penalties for petit theft are as follows:
- If the value of the property is less than $100, the offense is a second-degree misdemeanor punishable by up to 60 days in jail and/or a maximum $500 fine.
- If the value of the property is $100 or more but less than $300, the offense is a first-degree misdemeanor punishable by up to 1 year in jail and/or a maximum $1,000 fine.
The penalties for grand theft are as follows:
- Grand theft of the third degree is a felony of the third degree, punishable by up to 5 years in prison and/or a maximum $5,000 fine.
- Grand theft of the second degree is a felony of the second degree, punishable by up to 15 years in prison and/or a maximum $10,000 fine.
- Grand theft of the first degree is a felony of the first degree, punishable by up to 30 years in prison and/or a maximum $10,000 fine.
If you are charged with robbery, the penalties are as follows:
- If the robbery was committed without a weapon, it is a second-degree felony, punishable by up to 15 years in prison and/or a maximum $10,000 fine.
- If the robbery was committed with a weapon, it is a first-degree felony, punishable by up to 30 years in prison and/or a maximum $10,000 fine.
How Long Does a Theft Charge Stay on Your Record in Florida?
The length of time a theft charge remains on your record depends on the specific charge. In Florida, theft charges are not automatically expunged or sealed.
Here's how long theft charges stay on your record in Florida:
- Petit theft: A first-time petit theft offense may be eligible for expunction or sealing, but a subsequent offense is not.
- Grand theft: Grand theft charges may be eligible for expunction or sealing if the defendant was acquitted or the charge was dismissed.
- Robbery: Robbery charges are not eligible for expunction or sealing.
How Can a Theft Crime Lawyer Help Me?
Being charged with theft can be an incredibly stressful and overwhelming experience. If you are convicted, you will face serious criminal penalties that can have a lasting impact on your life. When you work with our firm, we will review the facts of your case and help you explore all your available legal options.
Our attorneys can help you by:
- Conducting a thorough investigation into the facts of your case
- Gathering evidence and building a strong defense on your behalf
- Explaining your rights and helping you understand your legal options
- Negotiating with the prosecution to seek a reduction or dismissal of the charges
- Representing you at all court hearings and proceedings
- Providing you with the personalized legal counsel you need and deserve
Why Choose Ali & Blankner?
At Ali & Blankner, we are committed to providing our clients with the aggressive legal representation they need and deserve. Our firm has been serving the residents of Titusville and the surrounding areas for over 30 years.
When you choose to work with our firm, you can expect:
- Skilled Legal Counsel: We have handled thousands of criminal cases, and we know what it takes to win.
- Aggressive Representation: We are not afraid to take on even the most challenging cases.
- Personalized Service: We provide each of our clients with the one-on-one attention they deserve.
- Strong Communication: We will be with you every step of the way, keeping you informed and updated about your case.
If you are under investigation for a theft crime or have been arrested, it is important to consult with an experienced attorney as soon as possible. The earlier you hire an attorney, the sooner they can begin investigating the facts of your case and building a strong defense on your behalf.
Large Firm Results, Small Firm Attention
Our criminal defense team in Orlando understands the ins and out of the legal industry, and we have the infrastructure and resources to handle any case that comes our way. We focus on your case specifically to ensure we get the best result for you.
Prosecutor Insight & Knowledge
All of our Orlando criminal attorneys are former prosecutors and understand how the other side thinks. When you work with our team, you get a group of individuals who knows how to prepare and fight a winning case.
Dedicated & Experienced Counsel
With over 35 years of experience and thousands of clients helped, Ali & Blankner has the skills, resources, and determination to get you the best possible result.
Fighters & Advocates in the Courtroom
The criminal lawyers in Orlando at Ali & Blankner are aggressive advocates who are willing to do whatever it takes to obtain a favorable resolution. We are committed to defending your rights and protecting your future.
The genuine care and concern Mr. Ali showed us during a difficult time were very much appreciated. It has been a long journey, however, Mr. Ali and the team at Ali & Blankner have been there with us each step along the way.